Crone's Cobblestone Cottage (top banner)
Cottage with Front Steps
Decorative Arts and Crafts Squares

California Historical Landmarks in San Diego

BED and BREAKFAST
Arts & Crafts Style Bungalow
Phone - 619.295.4765
Historic Site Built in 1913
Arts and Crafts style Navigation marker in Willow font
Bed and Breakfast
The Cottage
Living Areas
Guest Rooms
Book Art
Ponder Post
LFL
Mission Hills
San Diego
Area Map
Reservations

California Historical Landmark No. 1026

SANTA MARGARITA RANCH HOUSE

In July 1769, the Portola Expedition named this area for St. Margaret of Antioch. The Mission San Luis Rey 1827 Inventories list a small building in the area. In 1841, Rancho San Onofre Y Santa Margarita was granted to Andres and Pio Pico, the last governor of Alta California. Land magnate Don Juan Forster owned the rancho from 1864-1882. Richard O'Neill and James Flood purchased 205, 000 acres in 1882. The ranch house stop served the 1882 transcontinental California Southern Railroad. In 1942, President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated Marine Corps Base Camp Joseph H. Pendleton. The railroad line continued as a vital military transportation link before devastation by the 1993 flood.

Location: US Marine Corp Camp Pendleton, San Diego

(From the California Office of Historical Preservation page of San Diego County Historical Landmarks.)

Link to Yelp
Link to Trip Advisor
A registered Historical Landmark surrounded by historic sites.
Decorative Arts and Crafts Squares